One of the biggest tenets of the Sexy Forever plan is committing to cutting the chemicals out of your life. And that includes everything from highly processed and preservative–filled foods to pesticide–laden produce and antibiotic–pumped meats. As part of the initial detox phase, you’ll need to focus on eating real, organic food. Here’s how to get a jump start on the plan:
- Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That’s where you’ll find the freshest, least processed products in the store — the fresh fruits and vegetables and all–natural dairy and meats.
- Buy organic foods as often as possible. Avoid pesticides by choosing fresh produce and dairy that’s certified organic and pesticide free. Farmers’ markets are often a great source of fresh, organic produce, often at reduced prices.
- Grow your own food. You’ll get the freshest, most delicious fruits and vegetables that way — and they’ll be guaranteed to be chemical free!
- Wash nonorganic produce carefully. Use a good vegetable wash to remove toxins, or soak them for 20 minutes in water with salt and fresh lemon juice or vinegar.
- Avoid high–pesticide foods. If you can’t afford to buy everything organic, strategize by buying organic versions of the “dirty dozen,” the fruits and vegetables that when grown conventionally are loaded with pesticides and chemicals. These include grapes, peaches, lettuce, strawberries, apples, pears, bell peppers, kale, carrots, celery, and nectarines.
- Ask about the origins of your meat and seafood. If you can afford it, insist on organic or at least natural, hormone–free beef and chicken, and choose wild–caught fish, not farmed.